Monday, September 16, 2013
Two more door prizes for our art show next month!!! I saw the Boos online, and could not resist making..what a fun gift huh? Also since I sent in witch hat for next Just Steampunk Magazine, editor Kelly offered to send some copies to give away, so that will make a nice addition.
Friday, September 13, 2013
Finally finished my hat for our Art Show next month.Wore it to our meeting last night...everyone was impressed..I think, at least they pretended. My biggest challenge was getting it balanced so it wouldn't slide off with that long "tail" I had. I put a couple of keys on a chain on the other side, which really helped. Now I just need to remember to be less animated when I'm talking so I don't have it flying off across the room. "Hoot"my little pet owl will be sitting on my shoulder. I know everyone loves him. He started as purchase at the dollar store, so took a little trimming, but still a great start point. I will be making another for one of our door prizes at the show.
Saturday, September 7, 2013
I know I said I was going to put them aside for now, but I had already made this guy, and he kept staring at me as I was putting stuff away,so after laying awake thinking about it, I gave in and finished the fellar! One of the things I wanted to do was try using oil pastels blended with water to make a "subtle" design for a background. It worked out pretty well, but doesn't show up in pics...too subtle I guess. But I like it. My big problem is, it's so much fun putting these together!! Now that the last sewn one is done tho, I WILL stop. I'm thinking maybe I'll do some cats for the Holidays. Cat lovers, love cats, so they should be popular. But first I will get my other "chores" done...lemme see...where was I?
Thursday, September 5, 2013
I need to send National Geographic a thank you for sending me down this path! I really had a great time coming up with these guys. I still have one more technique I want to try, but other things call for a while. These guys are about 13" long and 8" tall. It took me 2 days to design the 7" Mahout, aka elephant trainer. I tried fabric heads, but didn't like the outcome, so messed with a press mold face. Much better. The other challenge was the umbrellas, which were very prevalent in online photos. I woke up at 1 AM with the solution! Again, one of the things I love most: finding ways to accomplish what I want. Now am ready to take my notes and write into pattern, and it's also time to get into the garden chores...then one more pachyderm... oh and I need to work on my Steampunk Witch costume for the Art Thing show next month! So much to do so little time!
Monday, September 2, 2013
Percival Pachyderm is 13", painted fabric. I did lots of experimenting on this fellow! Used pill bottles in his legs for weight, but later discovered truck lugs nuts while rummaging through Hubbies "junk". So he has plenty of weight (but don't all elephants?). Anyway thought it best to display on a tray, due to his weight, AND the little 1" polymer mouse which might get lost. Stanley carries a "steam punked" rifle, which was also fun to create. A few weeks ago I came across an article in National Geographic featuring wonderful painted Pachyderms for a festival in India. So I decided they would make a great project. I started putting a few together, again experimenting with different techniques. I was really enjoying them, until I mentioned to my friend Suz, and she suggested I should make a Steampunk elephant for our Steampunk Art Thing show in October. So the fancy elephants got put on a shelf, and I went to work on the new project...I'm so easily distracted! Anyway, am glad I took her advice..and now will be glad to get back to the original elephants. The good thing is I had already gathered fabrics & embellishments, so it's just a matter of putting them together.