Sunday, November 29, 2009

NATURE GIRL


FINALLY got pretty much the look I was looking for. Wanted her to be "impish" with large nose & mouth. After several hairdo's, the synthetic curly stuff , wound up being my choice...after all she's trucking around all over the place, so who has time to keep their hair all combed and neat. Her garland is green chenille's, with dried flowers & leaves, and one little butterfly in front, which was made of 2 pieces of fabric, fused together, with a wire inside to hold shape. Since I wanted her to be able to stand alone, I gave her some nice big feet and leather sandals which could easily hold her full figured bod. I liked the "woodsie" look of her dress, but wanted to fancy things up a bit, so made a top of tie dye print cotton with gold lines, then lined it with a floral print. The front is "beaded" with little frogs and turtles. I had gotten one of those deals on line with about 100 pieces of such stuff....moons, stars, flowers, butterflies, etc. They are made of plastic (no doubt from China) and colors were kinda icky, so I dipped them in acrylic paint: green mixed with gold...much better.
My original idea (and aren't they all?) was to have her holding a small child. But changed my mind on that..then I tried a bunny, and a mouse, but finally decided a nice little frog would be great...goes along with the turtles & frogs on her dress. Also since they are often an indication of things going amiss on our planet, it seemed appropriate. Besides I think froggies are cute...and this Girl is rather on the cutish side! Anyway, since her hands are articulated, I can still put something different if I want to later. But for now she's done. However, as an after thought, I have decided to call her Nature Girl.
It just seems more appropriate for her (at least that's what she told me).

9 comments:

  1. Hi Laura,

    This is the First time I have seen your dolls and love them all! Your Mother Nature Doll is gorgeous. Your Mother Earth is lovely too. Love the details on her. The little turtles and frogs are just the right touch.
    I also love the Christmas Ornament Dolls with the beaded arms and legs.
    I have become a Follower of your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Laura. I love her impish look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your new dolls. They are wonderful and while you had guests, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really nice mother earth doll. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, wonderful dolls especially Mother Nature.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job, sometimes it works that way... with another doll wanting to be made first. Better to go wtih it then struggle to make it into what you want it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulation!! Lovely work of art. This was not a bad hair day, but a perfect one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Laura.. I just love your Mother Earth doll! There is something in her face that makes her serene, but still has that impish look you wanted! Great job!

    ReplyDelete