Wednesday, April 23, 2014
There are several posts online for making Steampunk hats...the one that caught my eye was made of DUCK TAPE! Of course I took a bit different course, but used the basic technique. They used a real hat. I won't go into details for how they did it, but I got a paper hat after St. Paddy day, covered with saran wrap, then the duck tape so it can be used over. I also made a pattern of the original hat and lined mine to make it nice & sturdy. Brads, cut out fabric flowers, wheels,etc. were used to decorate. The band at the top is actually bagging from potatoes. The other thing I now love is: texture paste. Used a stencil to apply for the design on the hat front. Plan to do more with it. Got the recipe for making with baking soda, white glue & acrylic paint. So cheap...one of my favorite things! Posted the recipe on my laurascreativemess blog. Hat will be part of my display for the Art Walk in June.
Wednesday, April 2, 2014
Had to order trim for these on line since stuff like this isn't found around here. But worth the wait I think. This all started last month when I looked at the top of my distilled water bottle...Hmmm that looks like it would make neat steampunk goggles! So after making a pattern, dabbing on metallic paints (along with some distressing to make look old), and embellishing with "stuff"..Voila! Steampunk Goggles. Since the lens is plastic not really suitable to wear over the eyes. However will look funky as part of a costume I betcha!