Monday, January 23, 2012

IRENE THE RIBBON QUEEN

I belong to an eclectic group of artists, called The Art Thing We gather monthly (as time allows) to talk about our projects, and enjoy each others company. We also like to have a group challenge: with a theme which makes us work outside our "comfort" zone. This year we're doing a recycle project. Each of of got a bag of "stuff" put together by another artist and had to use it to make into a work of art. My bag was filled with lots of ribbon spools, a Mexican style tin plate, plastic doilies, little foam cut outs, etc. There were also some nice metal gears, but those got confiscated for my Steampunk projects. (yes that is legal!) This week I finally got around to working on my project....it was hard, because I'm still making those little girlfriends! I made one into a steampunker,which was bought, so made 3 more, but every time I show them, someone buys them! boo hoo
Anyway, I finished her (what a surprise, I still made it into a "figure"), and am now ready for our big show on Feb. 12th at the Museum in Alamosa. We're calling the show unbag D'art. Along with the mandatory recycle project we will also be displaying up to 3 pieces of our art that we usually do.
Works will be on display

through the end of the month with an opening reception and artists discussion on Feb 12th. Should be fun...this is a great group!

1 comment:

  1. OMG, Laura, that is hilarious! Would love to see the exhibit

    ReplyDelete